How to configure a Bluetooth Beacon with Eddystone URL Format
If you have purchased an unconfigured bluetooth beacon from Olleno, you will need to configure it before use.
The default password can be one of two different passwords, it should be either AprilBeacon or AprilBrother unless you have been advised differently.
You may set your own password using one of the mobile applications below, the password must be exactly 12 characters in length
Before configuring your beacon, you should decide which format you would like to use, currently the most popular is the Eddystone URL format, this will allow you to configure the beacon to broadcast a URL. However, you can also choose to use the iBeacon or or Eddystone UID format if you wish.
Please note that as this technology is still very much in its infancy, you may experience some issues with the applications below crashing without warning, this is usually because of a configuration error but the error messaging can be misleading. Please contact us if you have any issues.
There are many applications available to configure the beacons but the below is the most reliable on both Android and iOS
To configure your beacon:-
Currently, configuration can only be performed on a mobile device (very soon this will be available on other platforms)
- Insert the battery into the beacon if it is not already installed
- Ensure that bluetooth is enabled on your mobile device
- Search for the April Beacon Application or download via one of the links below
- Once the application has been installed, open it and select the “Devices” option, after a few seconds you should be able to see your beacon in the list of devices with the last four digits of the serial number showing after AprilBeacon_ (i.e. AprilBeacon_a12b)
- Select the beacon you wish to configure by tapping on the beacon in the list
- Select the Broad Model that you would like to use (URL in this case)
- Select Modify and then accept “OK” when prompted to “Set password of device” (this should select the default password, if that fails, please try AprilBeacon or AprilBrother as the password)
- You will now be returned to the original list you saw in the earlier step, select the beacon again to configure the URL that you would like the beacon to broadcast
- The URLs must be configured in two parts in the application
- The URI Scheme prefix
- The URI
- For example, if you wanted to configure the beacon to broadcast https://www.olleno.com then you would select https://www. In the first part and olleno.com in the second part of the URL configuration
- We strongly recommend that you use a URL shortener service for your URLs as the total number of characters is limited to 18 characters for the second part of the URI (i.e. in this example olleno.com is 10 characters in length)
- In addition to the above limitations, we also very strongly recommend that you use HTTPS instead of HTTP wherever possible as HTTP is not formally supported by The Physical Web and you may experience issues.
- Select your required URI Scheme prefix and enter your URI, select Modify and then accept “OK” when prompted to “Set password of device” (this should select the default password, if that fails, please try AprilBeacon or AprilBrother as the password)
Your beacon is now configured!
Enjoy experimenting with The Physical Web, please contact us if you need any further information.